HDR students may apply to transfer from a PhD to Masters by Research. Assessment of an HDR student application to transfer from PhD to masters will include:
- whether the scale, scope, level and originality of the work have been reviewed by the supervisor and student to ensure it is appropriate for a Masters by Research candidature, and/or
- whether the student has demonstrated they do not have capacity to reach the standard required of a doctoral program.
For domestic students, dependent upon the duration of candidature and the amount of Research Training Program support already used by the student, tuition fees may apply.
For international students, tuition fees will continue to apply.
If you are changing supervisors, you should also complete the HDR Application to Change Supervisory Team.
How to prepare
- read Higher Degrees by Research Policy Section 4.6.
- read HDR Admission and Enrolment Procedures Section 6.
- consult your supervisor (you may still apply if they disagree).
- organise documentary evidence to support your request. Provide a statement in support of your case for transferring from PhD to Masters candidature which includes:
- A description of how your project can be changed into a masters project;
- A completion plan for the proposed masters project (which includes details and expected completion dates for draft chapters and any additional field work, data analysis, or laboratory work required for the project).
- confirm your contact and candidature details in the Student Information System.