HDR students may apply to upgrade from Master by Research 'thesis only' degree to PhD, if:
- a capacity to undertake work at the more advanced level is demonstrated, e.g.: draft chapters; or evidence in the form of written reports, of progress in fieldwork, research or data analysis; or written seminar or conference papers, dealing with the substance of the thesis, that have been presented formally
- the nature of the proposed research topic is substantial enough to warrant the expansion of the research framework, and
- the definition of the project is such that the student has a reasonable prospect of completing a doctoral thesis that will make a significant contribution to knowledge or, in the case of a Professional Doctorate, knowledge and/or professional practice.
Applications are normally made after completion of the Confirmation of Candidature, by 9 months FTE enrolment (and finalised before 12 months FTE).
How to prepare
- read Higher Degrees by Research Policy Section 4.6.
- read HDR Admission and Enrolment Procedures Section 6.
- consult your supervisor (you may still apply if they disagree).
- organise documentary evidence to support your request. Provide a statement in support of your case for a upgrade which includes:
- An outline of the proposed PhD project
- A description of how you have met each of the criteria in Section 6.7.f of the HDR Admission and Enrolment Procedures and evidence to support your claims, in particular, evidence of your capacity to undertake work at a more advanced level in the form of: draft chapters; or evidence, in the form of written reports, of progress in fieldwork, research or data analysis; or the titles and publication details of written seminar or conference papers that have been presented during your candidature
- A completion plan for the proposed PhD project which includes details and expected completion dates for draft chapters and any additional field work, data analysis, or laboratory work required for the project; and
- An independent assessment by the college HDR coordinator (or nominee) on your upgrade seminar.
- ensure your milestones are up to date before applying.
- confirm your contact and candidature details are correct in the Student Information System.