Student Reimbursement Policy for SA rural, remote and interstate placements (18 January 2021)
This policy is for College of Nursing and Health Sciences students undertaking a rural or remote South Australian or any interstate placement.
Students will be eligible for reimbursement following each completed placement.
Reimbursement claims are processed at the completion of placement. Reimbursement claims must be submitted by the 15 January the following year for reimbursement of placement expenses the previous calendar year.
Accommodation expenses will be reimbursed to a maximum of $150 per week for the duration of the placement period.
Students must provide evidence for payment of accommodation, a receipt is preferred where possible, bank statement or signed letter from landlord can also be provided as evidence. Bonds and security deposits for accommodation, paid by students, are not covered by this policy and will not be reimbursed.
Travel will be reimbursed to a maximum of $500 for travel expenses to and from the placement venue, at the commencement and completion of the placement based on the receipts provided (such as flights, bus, taxi fare). Students will not be reimbursed for travel while on placement returning to their residential address (e.g. at the end of a shift or on weekends during placement).
Students travelling within SA to rural and remote locations by a private vehicle will receive a predetermined amount to cover fuel expenses. Students will not be required to submit receipts. The total amount students will receive is provided on the Personal Travel Reimbursement - SA Rural Locations (PDF).
If the placement is a project-based placement requiring the student to travel several times from metropolitan Adelaide to a rural venue, the student will be entitled to 2 return trips to a maximum refund of $500. To be eligible the student must provide supporting documentation in writing from their topic coordinator indicating this activity is essential.
All accommodation and travel reimbursements will be subjected to the following criteria;
- Rural and remote placements in South Australia must be within ASGS Remoteness Areas RA2 – RA5 outlined on the Doctor Connect website. Mt Barker will be excluded from this policy for both accommodation and travel reimbursement.
- Interstate placements, including metro locations, are included when; the placement is approved and/or required by the college (the college via the WIL placement team will identify if a placement satisfies this test prior to confirmation).
- Interstate placements, including metro locations, are not included when you choose to go to an interstate location where there is a suitable South Australian placement available to you as defined by the College of Nursing and Health Sciences WIL placement team. In these circumstances the students can still do this placement, but reimbursement will not be provided.
- All placements will be confirmed by the College of Nursing and Health Sciences WIL placement team.
- Stipends and Scholarships received by the student for any placement will be taken into consideration when calculating the reimbursement. Student reimbursements from this policy will not exceed the total expenditure the student incurred for travel and accommodation.
Accommodation [$1,500] + Travel [$600] – Stipend/Scholarship [$480] = $1,680 (Reimbursement)
- Domestic students attending a Northern Territory placement facilitated through Remote and Rural Interprofessional Placement Learning NT (RIPPL NT) will receive a stipend, this will be assumed and deducted when calculating student reimbursements. If you have not applied please view information about how to apply for the stipend.
- International students attending a Northern Territory placement facilitated through Remote and Rural Interprofessional Placement Learning NT (RIPPL NT) will receive reimbursement for travel and accommodation expenses from the College of Nursing and Health Sciences, they will not receive a stipend from RIPPL NT.
Students are to submit reimbursement claims as per the following process:
- At the completion of placement, fill out the Student Placement Reimbursement form (PDF) detailing expenses incurred while undertaking your placement.
- Scan the form with receipts/invoices of expenses and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your student ID number and “Placement Reimbursement Claim Request” in the subject heading. Ensure your scanned document is clearly legible.
- Payments are made into your nominated account within approximately 4 weeks of submitting your student placement reimbursement form.
You must ensure you keep your accommodation and travel expense receipts/invoices.
For more information please contact email@example.com.