The purpose of the final thesis review is to achieve the following objectives:
- Ensure that students for all higher degrees by research have demonstrated the following criteria used by examiners:
- Evidence of an original investigation or testing of ideas;
- Competence in independent research or experimentation;
- A thorough understanding of the appropriate techniques in the field demonstrated both by their application and a thorough review of the literature;
- Critical use of source material, experimental results (where appropriate), and published works;
- An appreciation of the relationship of the special theme to the wider field of knowledge; and
- The capacity to present well-written work.
- And doctoral students have demonstrated:
- A higher degree of independence of thought and approach; and
- A significant original contribution to knowledge.
- Assess whether the student’s progress since the mid-candidature review remains satisfactory and that those milestone requirements have been met;
- Assess whether the student’s thesis is at an advanced stage and is on track to submit by the due date or before;
- Provide appropriate feedback to the student about the readiness for submission of their thesis;
- Consult with the student on objections they may have to any potential examiners;
- Supervisors commence the process of finding examiners;
- Resolve any problems in the mid-candidature milestone;
- Determine whether the candidature should continue.
To complete the final thesis review, the following is required:
- A seminar/oral presentation - this may need attendance from an independent assessor (check college requirements with HDR coordinator)
- A written submission including a full thesis draft, if possible, with the word count
- Evidence of progress during the past 12 months (FTE)
- A summary of work to complete with a timeline/completion plan including set due dates
- Academic integrity check (Turnitin) of full draft
Once the presentation has been completed and feedback received; HDR students can log into Inspire to complete their milestone.