The purpose of the confirmation of candidature is to achieve the following objectives:
- Assess whether the higher degree by research student has a viable research project that is achievable for the degree in which the student is enrolled. In some cases, this assessment may include a proposal to upgrade from masters by research to PhD candidature;
- Provide peer feedback to the student on the oral presentation and written submission;
- Assess whether additional education and/or training is required to ensure timely completion;
- Assess whether additional resources will be required by the student to undertake the research;
- Identify any problems or challenges to address and their resolution; and
- Determine whether the candidature should continue.
To complete the confirmation of candidature, the following is required:
- Research proposal presentation: a seminar/oral presentation – this may need attendance from an independent assessor (check college requirements with HDR coordinator)
- Research proposal: Approximately 10,000 (PhD) and 5,000 (Masters) expected word count - which needs to include the following:
- Updated research question (from that outlined in the students application)
- Draft chapters of the introduction, full literature review and planned methodology appropriate to the discipline
- The original contribution to knowledge (PhD only) / synthesis for masters,
- A bibliography/reference list and an academic integrity check (Turnitin)
- A summary of work completed during the past 12 months (FTE)
- A completion plan of what needs to be achieved in the next 12 months
- Indication of if ethics approval is required for the project and if an application for ethics has been lodged.
Once the research proposal presentation has been completed and feedback received, HDR students can log into Inspire to complete their milestone.