OS-HELP is a loan that assists eligible students, who are based in Australia, to undertake some of their study overseas.
Students may receive funds for a six-month period for one or two overseas study periods, to assist with a range of expenses such as airfares and accommodation.
For 2019, the maximum you can borrow for a six-month study period is;
- $8,149 if you will be studying in Asia;
- $6,791 (if you will not be studying in Asia); and
- an additional $1,085 if you will be undertaking an Asian language study, specifically in preparation for your study in Asia.
Note that the loan for language studies must be for non-award study, which does not form part of your course/credit of your overseas study or university degree.
More information about OS-HELP at Study Assist
To be eligible for consideration for OS-HELP assistance, a student must;
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa holder or a New Zealand citizen who has been a long-term resident of Australia since childhood and meet certain eligibility criteria (see the Study Assist website for details); and
- be undertaking a course of study as a Commonwealth supported student, leading to a higher education award at Flinders University; and
- have successfully completed at least 36 units of study undertaken in Australia towards the course of study for which the assistance is being sought; and
- be undertaking full-time study overseas; and
- have their overseas study count as credit towards their course of study; and
- be required to undertake at least 4.5 units of study in order complete their course of study on return from their overseas study.
OS-HELP assistance will not be granted to a student who;
- has received OS-HELP on more than one other occasion; or
- has been granted an OS-HELP loan for an overlapping six month study period
Students can apply for an OS-HELP loan at any point throughout the year (within 6 months of the start of overseas travel).
Please note however, that the University only has a limited number of OS-HELP loans available and this allocation may be exhausted prior to the end of any year.
Applications should be submitted online through the Flinders University Student System.
Visit the scholarships website for more information about application procedures and scholarship rules.
More information about OS-HELP at Study Assist.