Applications are now open for the 2020 Hong Kong International Film Festival trip.
Applications close 5pm Monday 18 November 2019.
Program title: 2020 Hong Kong International Film Festival trip
Program location: Hong Kong
Students travel to Hong Kong for an immersive experience at the Hong Kong International Film Festival and FilmArt international film distribution market. Students will hear guest lectures from industry professionals, historians and academics, and undertake field trips in one of Asia's most dynamic cities. Post-return, students will complete a range of assessment tasks reflecting on Asian media industries. Screen production students may produce micro-documentaries on location in Hong Kong as an assessment option.
Program dates: Mid-March 2020 and of approx 2 weeks duration
Places available: 15 places funded by the New Colombo Plan Mobility Grant.
- Students with a demonstrated interest in asian films/filmmakers/media culture
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Australian citizen over the age of 18
- Must have completed at least 36 units of study with a grade point average of at least 4.5 OR 18 units of the undergraduate course with a grade point average of at least 5.0 at the commencement of the overseas study
- Must be able to enrol in 4.5 units of SCME2107 Asian Cinema or SCME3012 as part of your degree
- Must not have received an NCP Mobility Grant in the past
- Return airfare: approx. A$1100
- Accommodation: approx. A$1100
- Food and non-alcoholic beverages: approx. A$400
- Local transportation: approx. A$150
- Film festival tickets: approx. $A250
- Travel insurance: provided by university
Additional costs, such as passport, visa, vaccination, international phone calls, and personal expenses, are not included in the costs above.
A total of 15 x $3,000 New Colombo Plan Mobility grants are available to support eligible participants; in addition, students may also be eligible to apply for an OS Help Loan.
Students may be eligible for the $500 short term overseas study RA Simpson Scholorship.
Students are eligible to register with Flinders travel insurance.
Please be advised that the Scholarship to Hong Kong is subject to the Flinders University Travel Policy and to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) Smart Traveller Advice . If the DFAT Traveller Advice is raised to Level 3 – Reconsider your need to Travel, it is within Flinders University’s discretion to cancel the travel arrangements and will advise you of the decision. No staff or student travel will be approved to any country that is DFAT Level 4 – Do Not Travel category.
How to apply
Download the expression of interest form and submit by 18 November to email@example.com.
Your expression of interest should include the following:
- Your full name, student number and contact details
- Degree in which you are enrolled
- A short statement in response to the following question:
- What makes you a good candidate to be included in this trip
Things that may make you a good candidate for the trip are:
- Demonstrated interest in films/filmmakers/media culture
- Previous attendance at film festivals, cinémathèque events
- OzAsia attendance
- Knowledge of an Asian country
- Study of Asian languages