Epigeum Online Module: Intellectual Property in the Research Context
If you need some further information on IP, you can complete the Epigeum online course. If you have not already set up an Epigeum account, you can do so by referring to instructions for HDR students.
An understanding of intellectual property is essential for researchers in any disciplinary field. This course will provide a clear explanation of this subject area and will guide you through many of its practical applications, from publishing papers to commercialising research. The course provides Master's students and PhD candidates with a grounding in the key areas of IP, from copyright and publishing to patents, trademarks, design rights, confidentiality, ownership, and exploitation
- Understand the four main types of intellectual property right
- Analyse an innovative or creative output in terms of intellectual property rights generated
- Discuss the appropriateness, or not, of registering an intellectual property right
- Apply the appropriate ownership rules to intellectual property you have been involved in creating
- Suggest ways of exploiting intellectual property rights created in your own work.