No further student intake from Semester 2, 2021
The Graduate Certificate in Education (Leadership and Management) is an 18-unit program offered by the College of Education, Psychology and Social Work and is available on campus and in distance mode.
Applicants must normally hold an approved degree or equivalent qualification. However, the Dean (Education) may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
In addition to this admission requirement, the Graduate Certificate in Education (Leadership and Management) requires that applicants have not less than two years relevant work experience.
The Graduate Certificate in Education provides candidates with opportunities to critically examine recent literature, engage in debate and reflection, and expand and apply in-depth knowledge of:
- policies and practices related to their area of interest
- methods for fostering interdisciplinary and intercultural partnerships and working collaboratively
- theoretical and practical matters in education in such a way as to improve professional decision making
- curriculum, pedagogy and assessment policies and practices designed to improve learning outcomes and student/client well-being
- theoretical and practical matters related to their area of interest.
It is expected that graduates will be able to:
- further enhance dispositions, cognitive skills, reflective awareness and creativity to facilitate the application of evidence-based knowledge, skills and capacities to educational practices
- apply high-level technical and communication skills to design, evaluate, implement, analyse and theorise about developments that contribute to professional practice or scholarship
- critically reflect on, evaluate and synthesise knowledge gained from reading, discussion and writing to demonstrate an advanced understanding of educational research, policies and practices
- demonstrate contemporary evidence-based knowledge when operating in educational contexts.
Credit may be granted, on application, for topics completed or being undertaken towards another relevant Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters degree, or for accredited professional development.
Program of study
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Education (Leadership and Management) specialisation, a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P or NGP, or better, in topics listed below.
Core - Year 1 topics
Select 13.5 units from the topics listed
EDUC8601 Strategic Thinking and Planning (4.5 units)
EDUC8602 Leaders and Leadership (4.5 units)
EDUC9603 Theories of Organisational Change (4.5 units)
EDUC9604 Managing Human Resources (4.5 units)
EDUC9605 Leading Knowledge Management for Organisational Learning (4.5 units)
EDUC9606 Planning Change in Organisations (4.5 units)
POAD9037 Financial Management (4.5 units)
Option - Year 1 topics
Select 4.5 units from the topics listed
EDUC8618 Pedagogical Leadership (4.5 units)
EDUC9608 Globalisation, Development and Education (4.5 units)
EDUC9609 Leadership and Management in Rural Contexts (4.5 units)
EDUC9610 Developing People in Organisations (4.5 units)
EDUC9611 Managing Innovation in Organisations (4.5 units)
EDUC9616 Leadership and Management in Education (4.5 units)
EDUC9617 Educational Governance (4.5 units)
POAD9135 Project Management (4.5 units)