The Graduate Certificate in Education (International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program) is an 18 unit program offered by the College of Education, Psychology and Social Work and is available in distance mode only.
Applicants must normally hold an approved degree or equivalent qualification. However, the Dean (Education) may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
In addition to this admission requirement, the Graduate Certificate in Education (International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program) requires that applicants have not less than one year of relevant teaching experience.
The Graduate Certificate in Education provides candidates with opportunities to critically examine recent literature, engage in debate and reflection, and expand and apply in-depth knowledge of:
- policies and practices related to international education and IB practice
- methods for fostering interdisciplinary and intercultural partnerships and working collaboratively
- theoretical and practical matters in education in such a way as to improve professional decision making
- curriculum, pedagogy and assessment policies and practices designed to improve learning outcomes and student/client well-being
- theoretical and practical matters related to international education and IB practice.
It is expected that graduates will be able to:
- further enhance dispositions, cognitive skills, reflective awareness and creativity to facilitate the application of evidence-based knowledge, skills and capacities to educational practices
- apply high-level technical and communication skills to design, evaluate, implement, analyse and theorise about developments that contribute to professional practice or scholarship
- critically reflect on, evaluate and synthesise knowledge gained from reading, discussion and writing to demonstrate an advanced understanding of educational research, policies and practices
- demonstrate contemporary evidence-based knowledge when operating in educational contexts.
Credit may be granted, on application, for topics completed or being undertaken towards another relevant Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters degree, or for accredited professional development.
Program of study
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Education (International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program) specialisation, a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P or NGP, or better, in topics listed below.
Core - Year 1 topics
EDUC8821 IBMYP Curriculum Foundations (4.5 units)
EDUC9822 IBMYP Curriculum Processes (4.5 units)
EDUC9823 Teaching, Learning and Assessment in the IBMYP (4.5 units)
EDUC9824 Classroom Diversity and the IBMYP (4.5 units)