New course commencing Semester 1, 2022
The Master of Media and Communication [1 year] is a 36-unit program offered by the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences. The course is normally completed over one year full-time, or the equivalent part-time.
Applicants must normally hold a Graduate Diploma or Bachelor Honours degree (or equivalent qualification) in Media and Communication or Screen Production from an approved tertiary institution.
However, the Dean (Education) may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
This course aims to provide students with the creative and practical skills required to design and produce marketing campaigns and collateral, including graphic, audio-visual and social media content to improve an organisation’s online presence. Students will also develop the capacity to analyse and assess the effectiveness of these campaigns.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- design marketing campaigns and collateral with a focus on user experience
- analyse consumer behaviour to inform effective advertising and public relations
- develop skills in scriptwriting, video and audio production and editing, and post-production
- appraise the effectiveness of written and audio-visual communications across a variety of media
- influence the production of new multimedia content using skills in research and analysis
- evaluate changing trends in marketing and communications to future-proof communication and marketing strategies
Program of study
To qualify for the Master of Media and Communication [1 year], a student must complete 36 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic, according to the program of study below.
Not all topics are necessarily available in a given year.
Core - Year 1 topics
18 units comprising:
CREA9406 Industry Project (9 units)
SCME9002 Social Media and Digital Platforms (4.5 units)
VEED9001 Digital Graphic Design Fundamentals (4.5 units)
Option - Year 1 topics
Select 18 units from the following:
BUSN9228 Strategic Marketing (4.5 units)
BUSN9264 Consumer Behaviour (4.5 units)
COMS9003 Advertising and Public Relations GE (4.5 units)
COMS9004 Business Communication GE (4.5 units)
CREA9405 Cultural Policy and the Arts GE (4.5 units)
EDUC9606 Planning Change in Organisations (4.5 units)
INDG9000 Indigenous Research Methodologies (4.5 units)
LING9001 Intercultural Communication GE (4.5 units)
VEED9002 Motion Capture and Virtual Production (4.5 units)