The Bachelor of Letters (Innovation and Enterprise) is a 108-unit program that must be studied concurrently with another Bachelor degree at an approved Australian higher education institution, for which 72 units of block credit will be awarded on completion of the requirements of the other degree. The Bachelor of Letters (Innovation and Enterprise) is normally studied part-time over three years concurrently with the other Bachelor degree, thus adding one extra year to the overall study program. It is offered by the College of Business, Government and Law.
The stream undertaken by the student will be identified on the student’s transcript of academic record and on the parchment presented to the student on completion of the course.
To gain entry into the Bachelor of Letters an applicant must be enrolled in a Bachelor degree (AQF level 7) at an approved Australian higher education institution.
It aims to provide students with ability, knowledge and skills in:
- Applying innovative principles
- Understanding disruptive markets
- Identifying and maximizing opportunities
- Exploring novel new business models and how to innovate and evaluate viability
- Designing organizational environments that reward innovation
- Enabling organizations to embrace disruptive environments
- Creating or adding value to organizations
- Developing creative problem solving
On the completion of the Bachelor of Letters in Innovation and Enterprise, students are expected to be able to:
- Assess and implement new ideas
- Apply innovative principles
- Understand disruptive markets
- Identify and maximize opportunities
- Create and manage new ventures
- Develop entrepreneurial management practices
- Create supportive environments that foster and enable innovation
Students will also be expected to be able to demonstrate:
- Explore novel new business models and how to innovate and evaluate viability
- Design organizational environments that reward innovation
- Understand how organizations can embrace disruptive environments
- Understand how organizations create or add value
Program of study
To qualify for the Bachelor of Letters (Innovation and Enterprise), a student must complete the required program of study for his/her other bachelor degree, and 36 units according to the program of study set out below, with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic.
No topic may be counted towards both the Bachelor of Letters and the student’s other bachelor degree.
Not all topics are necessarily available in a given year.
Stream - Innovation and Enterprise
Core - Year 1 topics
INNO1001 Innovative and Creative Thinking: Recognizing Opportunities (4.5 units)
INNO1003 Collaboration, Co-Creation and the Crowd: Leveraging your Ecosystem for Innovation (4.5 units)
Core - Year 2 topics
INNO2001 Innovation for Social Impact: Doing Good While Doing Well (4.5 units)
INNO2004 From Intuition to Insight: Validating Desirability, Feasibility and Viability (4.5 units)
Core - Year 3 topics
INNO3001A From Innovation to Impact: Creating a Roadmap from Opportunity to Action (4.5 units)
INNO3002 Going Live! Entrepreneurial Strategies, Resources and Activities (4.5 units)
Elective - Year 1, 2 & 3 topics
Students must complete 9 units of elective topics selected from topics offered by the University where prerequisites are met. Where students wish to focus on Innovation and Enterprise, they should select the following topics as their electives:
INNO3003 Finding Backers and Champions: Pitching for Financial Resources and Support (4.5 units)
INNO3005 Early Wins Matter: Nothing Happens Without a Sale (4.5 units)