The Bachelor of Business (Advanced Leadership) requires the completion of 108 units with a grade of P or better or NGP in each topic and the maintenance of a GPA of at least 5.5. The course can be completed in three years of full-time study (or the equivalent part-time). The course is offered by the College of Business, Government and Law.
The minimum requirements for consideration for entry to all undergraduate courses are specified in detail in the University Entry Requirements.
This course provides students with the opportunity to develop broad knowledge and competencies to facilitate careers in business-related fields. Students will be encouraged and supported to develop transferable interpersonal and professional capabilities, including the capability to be reflective, self-evaluating and critically engaged as well as to lead and manage people and projects. There is a particular focus on application of knowledge, competencies and capabilities to authentic workplace experiences and projects, and diverse and global business/organisational contexts. Students will apply their knowledge and competencies to a broad range of business/organisational practices including systems and processes, planning, production, operations and the use of current and emerging data and analytical practices.
Students successfully completing this course will be able to:
- critically apply broad theoretical and technical accounting, finance, economic, marketing, human resources management and management knowledge and skills to inform strategic and operational planning
- analyse leadership and management practices and decisions using theoretical and technical knowledge of regulatory, governance, compliance and legal requirements
- apply theoretical knowledge, technical competencies and critical judgement to provide solutions to routine management and leadership problems
- explain the impact of socially responsible, ethical, economic, regulatory, sustainability, governance and global perspectives on management and leadership planning and practices
- communicate technical advice and ideas to specialists and non-specialists, in written and spoken forms
- manage time, self and tasks effectively as an individual and to collaborate with a diverse team
- use computer-based information systems or applications to solve or document business problems
Program of Study
To qualify for the Bachelor of Business (Advanced Leadership) a student must complete 108 units with a grade of P or better or NGP in each topic and maintain a GPA of at least 5.5. This must include:
- 72 units of core topics
- 27 units of BUSN option topics
- 9 units of elective topics
A minimum of 27 units, but no more than 45 units, of Year 1 topics is to be included in the 108 units.
Not all topics are necessarily available in a given year.
Except with the permission of the Dean (Education), the course must be completed within ten consecutive years. Failure to do so may constitute evidence of unsatisfactory progress. Where permission is given to complete in more than ten consecutive years, there may be a requirement for additional coursework in order to ensure relevant and up-to-date knowledge.
Core - Year 1, 2 & 3 topics
72 units comprising:
BUSN1011 Accounting for Managers (4.5 units)
BUSN1009 Quantitative Methods (4.5 units)
BUSN1012 Management, People and Organisations (4.5 units)
BUSN1013 Economics for Business (4.5 units)
BUSN1019 Law for Business (4.5 units)
BUSN1022 Marketing Principles (4.5 units)
BUSN2019 International Business Context (4.5 units)
BUSN2034 Interpersonal Skills for Professionals (4.5 units)
BUSN2038 Human Resource Management (4.5 units)
BUSN3044 Industry Placement (4.5 units)
BUSN3052 Leadership in Business and Society (4.5 units)
BUSN3055 Strategic Management (4.5 units)
BUSN3061A Industry Project (9 units)
BUSN3065 The Future of Work in the Digital Age (4.5 units)
INNO1001 Innovative and Creative Thinking - Recognising Opportunities (4.5 units)
Option - Business - Year 1, 2 & 3 topics
Plus 27 units of BUSN topics where topic prerequisites are met.
Elective - Year 1, 2 & 3 topics
Plus 9 units of electives from across the University where entry requirements are met.
The requirements of the Bachelor of Business (Advanced Leadership) (Honours) are the same as those for the Bachelor of Business (Honours).