The Diploma in Business requires one year of full-time study (or the equivalent part-time). The course is offered by the College of Business, Government and Law.
The course articulates with the Bachelor of Business and the sequentially developed topics enable progression through the two awards.
The course is also available as an exit award from the Bachelor of Business subject to meeting the requirements in the Program of Study below1.
The minimum requirements for consideration for entry to all undergraduate courses are specified in detail in the University Entry Requirements.
This course provides students with the opportunity to develop knowledge and competencies that will provide a foundation for further study and careers in business-related fields. Students will be encouraged and supported to develop transferable interpersonal and professional capabilities, with a focus on the application of knowledge, competencies and capabilities to a range of business/organisational contexts. Students will apply their knowledge and competencies to a range of business/organisational practices including systems and processes, planning, production, and operations.
Students successfully completing this course will be able to:
- apply broad theoretical and technical accounting, finance, economic, marketing, human resources management and management knowledge and skills to inform business planning
- apply theoretical knowledge, technical competencies, and critical judgement to provide solutions to routine business problems
- communicate technical advice and ideas that apply to business and organisational contexts
- manage time, self and tasks effectively as an individual and to collaborate with a diverse team
- use computer-based information systems or applications to solve or document business problems
Program of study
To qualify for the Diploma in Business, a student must complete 36 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic.
Core - Year 1 topics
36 units comprising:
BUSN1011 Accounting for Managers (4.5 units)
BUSN1012 Management, People and Organisations (4.5 units)
BUSN1013 Economics for Business (4.5 units)
BUSN1019 Law for Business (4.5 units)
BUSN1022 Marketing Principles (4.5 units)
COMS1002 Keys to University Success (4.5 units)
INNO1001 Innovative and Creative Thinking: Recognising Opportunities (4.5 units)
NMCY1001 Academic and Professional Numeracy (4.5 units)
- Students exiting from the Bachelor of Business or specialisation may replace COMS1002 and NMCY1001 with 9 units of Year 1 topics taken from the Business program of study.