Not offered in 2021
The Graduate Certificate in Higher Education is an 18-unit program offered by the College of Education, Psychology and Social Work and is available via online delivery.
Applicants must normally hold an approved degree or equivalent qualification, and normally be employed in a teaching position in a higher education institution.
However, the Dean (Education) may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
The Graduate Certificate in Higher Education provides students with opportunities to critically examine recent literature, engage in debate and reflection, and expand and apply in-depth knowledge of:
- methods for fostering interdisciplinary and intercultural partnerships and working collaboratively
- theoretical and practical matters in education in such a way as to improve professional decision making
- curriculum, pedagogy and assessment policies and practices designed to improve learning outcomes and student/client well-being
- theoretical and practical matters related to their area of interest
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- further enhance dispositions, cognitive skills, reflective awareness and creativity to facilitate the application of evidence-based knowledge, skills and capacities to educational practices
- apply high-level technical and communication skills to design, evaluate, implement, analyse and theorise about developments that contribute to professional practice or scholarship
- appraise, evaluate and synthesise knowledge gained from reading, discussion and writing to demonstrate an advanced understanding of educational research, policies and practices
- integrate contemporary evidence-based knowledge when operating in educational contexts.
Program of study
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Higher Education, a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P, NGP, or better, according to the following program of study.
Core - Year 1 topics
EDUC8905 Higher Education: A Global Context (4.5 units)
EDUC9906 Higher Education: Global Perspectives on Teaching and Learning (4.5 units)
EDUC9907 Pedagogies for Global Higher Education Contexts (4.5 units)
EDUC9908 Researching Higher Education from a Global Perspective (4.5 units)