The Graduate Certificate in Acute Care Nursing (Emergency) is an 18-unit program offered by the College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
Applicants must normally hold an approved degree or equivalent qualification and must be registered nurses in Australia.
However, the Dean (Education) may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature
In addition, applicants must have a minimum of one year post-registration experience (6 months of which should be in relevant clinical area).
The Graduate Certificate in Acute Care Nursing (Emergency) aims to:
- facilitate development of specialised knowledge, skills attributes for application in emergency care environment
On completion of this course students will be able to:
- critique the evidence-based principles and practices that inform emergency nursing practice
- analyse, generate and communicate solutions to complex problems
- evaluate primary and secondary survey principles and apply them to complex health care problems
- develop skills of self-regulation and self-evaluation to identify knowledge deficits to facilitate reflexive practice and life-long learning beyond the course
Program of study
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Acute Care Nursing (Emergency) a student must complete 18 units as specified below with a grade of Pass or NGP or better in each topic.
The award of a grade of Fail (F) in the same topic on more than one occasion or in 9 units or more, or failure to complete the course within four consecutive semesters may constitute prima facie evidence of unsatisfactory progress for the purposes of the University's Policy on Student Progress.
Except with permission of the Dean (Education):
- no topic may be attempted more than twice
- a student may not include a topic which repeats work previously undertaken.
Core - Year 1 topics
18 units comprising:
NURS8750 Emergency Nursing Practice 1 (PEP) (4.5 units)
NURS8751 Dimensions of Emergency Nursing (4.5 units)
NURS8752 Emergency Nursing Practice 2 (PEP) (4.5 units)
NURS8760 Acute Mental Health Nursing Theory (4.5 units)
Not all topics will be available in any given year or semester