To be read in conjunction with the program of study requirements for the degree in which you are enrolled.
The minor in Behaviour adopts a schoolwide positive behaviour support (SPBS) approach of prevention to intervention model for behaviour support in classrooms and schools. Its emphasis is on creating a conducive learning and behaviour environment/host that teaches prosocial behaviour, mitigating the need to react to behaviour challenges. When all preventive approaches have been put in place, for students who still require additional assistance, intensifying the level of support is emphasised with the introduction of additional social skills training towards decreasing behaviour challenges. Finally, functional behaviour assessment (FBA) is adopted for a small group of students who require persistent supports to be successful members of their classroom and school community. The aim of the minor in Behaviour is to achieve enduring behaviour change versus piecemeal behaviour management.
The minor aims to:
- develop comprehension of behavioural principles for teaching, learning and behaviour support within a school system
- impart knowledge and skills for implementation of schoolwide positive behaviour support systems
- facilitate implementation of tier 3 behaviour support for students who do not respond to tier 1 and tier 2 interventions
- analyse school systems for fidelity of implementation of behaviour support programs
- improve overall school climate and culture in adopting positive behaviour support systems
On completion students will be able to:
- articulate principles of behaviour in facilitating learning and teaching
- articulate principles of behaviour in increasing and supporting positive behaviour and decreasing challenging behaviour
- implement schoolwide positive behaviour support systems as a preventive approach to support prosocial student behaviour
- evaluate behaviour, and design intensifying tier 2 social skills supports, where needed
- analyse student behaviour using functional behaviour assessment (FBA) to design and implement effective behaviour support plans (BSP)
- evaluate tiers 1, 2 and 3 interventions in school systems
Program of study
To qualify for the minor in Behaviour, a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P or NGP, or better, in each topic according to the program of study below.
Not all topics are necessarily available in a given year.
18 units comprising:
EDUC9501 Understanding Behaviour in Educational Contexts (4.5 units)
EDUC9503 Supporting Behaviour Change (4.5 units)
EDUC9504 Schoolwide Positive Behaviour Support (4.5 units)
EDUC9512 Functional Behaviour Assessment in Education (4.5 units)