The combined degrees program of Bachelor of Finance and Bachelor of Arts requires the completion of a minimum of 144 units of study.
Students enrolled in a combined degree program must complete the full program specified within the combined program for each degree before they can graduate with either award.
Students who commence but subsequently do not wish to complete the combined degrees program may be eligible to transfer to either the Bachelor of Finance or the Bachelor of Arts program and to receive credit for some, or all, of the topics already completed.
Program of study
To qualify for the combined degrees of Bachelor of Finance, Bachelor of Arts degree, a student must complete the following program of study with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic:
- a Finance component of at least 72 units for the Bachelor of Finance as detailed below
- an Arts component of at least 72 units for the Bachelor of Arts as detailed below
Not all topics necessarily are available in a given year.
Bachelor of Finance component
To qualify for the Bachelor of Finance a student must complete 72 units with a grade of P or better or NGP in each topic. This must include:
Core - Year 1, 2 & 3 topics
67.5 units comprising:
BUSN1001 Accounting Principles (4.5 units)
BUSN1009 Quantitative Methods (4.5 units)
BUSN1012 Management, People and Organisations (4.5 units)
BUSN1013 Economics for Business (4.5 units)
BUSN1014 Financial Markets (4.5 units)
BUSN1015 Foundations of Finance (4.5 units)
BUSN1019 Law for Business (4.5 units)
BUSN2021 Management of Financial Institutions (4.5 units)
BUSN2027 International Finance (4.5 units)
BUSN2034 Interpersonal Skills for Professionals (4.5 units)
BUSN2037 Financial Management (4.5 units)
BUSN3029 Investments and Portfolio Management (4.5 units)
BUSN3043 Governance, Sustainability and Ethics (4.5 units)
BUSN3049 Corporate Finance (4.5 units)
Including 4.5 units from:
BUSN2040 Macroeconomics (4.5 units)
BUSN3028 Personal Financial Planning (4.5 units)
BUSN3031 Derivatives and Risk Management (4.5 units)
Elective - Year 1, 2 or 3 topics
Select 4.5 units of elective topics from across the University provided pre-requisites are met.
Other topics may be substituted with approval.
Bachelor of Arts component
To qualify for the Bachelor of Arts a student must complete 72 units with a grade of P or better or NGP in each topic. This must include:
- COMS1001 Academic and Professional Communication (4.5 units)*
- a 36-unit major sequence, comprising two First Level topics (9 units), two Second Level topics (9 units), two Third level topics (9 units), plus two topics (9 units) from Second or Third Level according to requirements for the specific major sequence;
- a 22.5-unit minor sequence in a different field of study, comprising two First Level topics (9 units), two Second Level topics (9 units) and a further topic (4.5 units), at either Second or Third Level;
- a further two topics (9 units) at either Second or Third level for the elective component.
For acceptable majors and minors please refer to the Bachelor of Arts course rule for details.
Students who complete COMS1001 as part of their 22.5 unit minor sequence must complete 13.5 units of either Second or Third level elective topics
*Under certain conditions the core topic COMS1001 may be replaced with an alternative topic. See COMS1001 for further details.