To be read in conjunction with the program of study requirements for the degree in which you are enrolled:
A student may complete a major sequence of 36 units in Drama by completing two Year 1 topics (9 units), two Year 2 topics (9 units) and two Year 3 topics (9 units) plus two additional topics (9 units) from the Year 2 or Year 3 topics listed in the program of study below.
A student may complete a minor sequence of 22.5 units in Drama by completing two Year 1 topics (9 units), two Year 2 topics (9 units) plus and additional topic (4.5 units) from the Year 2 or Year 3 Topics listed in the program of study below.
A minor in Drama is not available to students who commenced the Bachelor of Education (Primary R-7), Bachelor of Arts from 1 January 2019.
The minor sequence is not available to students who commenced the Bachelor of Arts, Master of Teaching (Primary R-7) from 1 January 2020
A student may complete an extended major sequence in Drama by completing the prescribed major topics (36 units), plus an additional two topics (9 units) from the Year 2 or Year 3 topics listed below.
An extended major in Drama is not available to students enrolled in the double Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Arts degrees.
Educational aims of the Drama major are to:
- increase students' knowledge and appreciation of the history of the performing arts as well as recent evolution of innovative live arts in relation to a variety of theories that impact on performance and the perception of performance
- enable students to explore selected performance works drawn form an international field and to discover connections with recent developments and current practice in Australia and enable students to experience some of these theories in practical applications through workshop activities and screenings
- provide opportunities for students to recognise, articulate and evaluate the live aesthetics and embodied ethics of historical and contemporary performance
- develop students' ability to think, speak and write about performance in a critically-engaged, aesthetically-informed and ethically responsive manner.
Upon completion of the major students are expected to:
- describe the significance of selected performance works and their contribution to the evolution of the performing arts
- apply appropriate aesthetic criteria in analysing an relevant performance work and evaluation its intervention within a cultural context
- participate constructively and reflectively in discussion of the embodied ethics of performance, and integrate and embody theoretical concepts in the performances in which they participate
- identify opportunities for engaging aesthetic criteria and ethical considerations in students' own practice as artists and critics.
Program of study
Major - Drama
The following is the program of study for a 36 unit major sequence in Drama within a Bachelor of Arts and should be read in conjunction with the course rule for the BA
Year 1 topics
DRAM1001 Drama 1A: First Stages (4.5 units)
DRAM1002 Drama 1B: Bodies of Work (4.5 units)
Note: Students wishing to take Drama Workshop topics listed below at second and third year must pass DRAM1003 Drama Workshop 1A and DRAM1004 Drama Workshop 1B as electives.
Year 2 topics
Select 9 units from the year 2 topics listed below
DRAM2100 Modern Theatre: The Rise of the Director (4.5 units)
DRAM2102 Reading Theatre: Theories and Performance (4.5 units)
DRAM2103 Reading Theatre: Plays in Productions (4.5 units)
DRAM2104 Asian Dramatic Traditions (4.5 units)
plus select an additional 4.5 units from either the Year 2 topics listed above, Year 3 topics listed below, or from the Year 2 & 3 Optional topics listed below.
Year 3 topics
Select 9 units from the year 3 topics listed below
DRAM3100 Performance Theories: Time, Space and the Body (4.5 units)
DRAM3102 Live Arts and Performance (4.5 units)
DRAM3103 Song and Dance (4.5 units)
DRAM3107 Festivals: Performance and Curation (4.5 units)
plus an additional 4.5 units from the year 2 or 3 topics listed above or from the year 2 & 3 optional topics listed below.
Year 2 & 3 Optional topics
CREA3456 Cultural Policy and the Arts (4.5 units)
DRAM2200 Improvisation Workshop# (4.5 units)
DRAM2201 Stanislavski Workshop# (4.5 units)
DRAM2301 Special Project in Drama 1** (4.5 units)
DRAM3200 Studio Workshop - Beyond Stanislavski# (4.5 units)
DRAM3301 Special Project in Drama 2** (4.5 units
ITAL2213 Italian Theatre (4.5 units)
#Workshop topics. Students must complete DRAM1003 Drama Workshop 1A and DRAM1004 Drama Workshop 1B as first year electives before enrolling in these topics.
** Director of Studies permission required prior to enrolment
Refer to Honours - Drama