Not offered from 1 July 2015
To be read in conjunction with the program of study requirements for the degree in which you are enrolled:
Astudent may complete a major sequence of 36 units in Asian Studies by completing two Year 1 topics (9 units), two Year 2 topics (9 units) and two Year 3 topics (9 units) plus two additional topics (9 units) from the Year 2 or Year 3 topics listed in the program of study below.
A student may complete a minor sequence of 22.5 units in Asian Studies by completing two Year 1 topics (9 units), two Year 2 topics (9 units) plus and additional topic (4.5 units) from the Year 2 or Year 3 Topics listed in the program of study below.
A student may complete an extended major sequence in Asian Studies by completing the prescribed major topics (36 units), plus an additional two topics (9 units) from the Year 2 or Year 3 topics listed below.
An extended major in Asian Studies is not available to students enrolled in the double Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Arts degrees
The major aims to produce graduates who have:
- skills, knowledge and conceptual understandings that equip them for employment in organisations which engage with the Asian region, either directly or indirectly
- knowledge of the developments which have shaped, and continue to shape, Australia's place in the Asian region
- appreciation of cross-disciplinary approaches to the study of Asia
- understanding of the societies, cultures, and governments in Asia, including their histories, modern transformations, and contemporary development
- Australia's place, role, and engagement in the Asian region.
Upon successful completion of the Asian Studies major, graduates should be able to:
- communicate and interact in a professional and culturally aware manner about key political, social, economic, environmental, and cultural issues impacting upon Asian nations
- contribute specialist knowledge about a range of Asian countries, societies, and governments using relevant approaches from a range of academic disciplines
- apply their knowledge to give professional expertise in policy advice and formulation.
Program of study
The following is the program of study for a 36 unit major sequence in Asian Studies and should be read in conjunction with the course rule for the degree in which you are enrolled.
Major - Asian Studies
Year 1 topics
INTR1101 Discovering Asia (4.5 units)
INTR1102 Modern Asia since 1945 (4.5 units)
Year 2 topics
INTR2101 Democracy and Human Rights in Asia (4.5 units)
plus 4.5 units from the year 2 topics listed below
DVST2006 From Bullets to Ballot Box and Back: Politics of the Global South (4.5 units)
GEOG2712 Asian Regional Development (4.5 units)
HIST2006 India: From Partition to the Emergency, 1940-1984 (4.5 units)
INTR2005 The Next Superpower? The Rise of China in the 21st Century (4.5 units)
WMST2017 Gender, Globalisation and International Development (4.5 units)
Year 3 topics
Select one of
ASST3017 Asia Rising: The Politics of Development in the Asia Pacific Region (4.5 units)
INTR3006 The Rise of the Indo-Pacific (4.5 units)
plus 4.5 units from the year 3 topics listed below
INTR3100 Environment and Development in Asia (4.5 units)
ASST3018 The War on Terror: A Clash of Civilisations? (4.5 units)
plus an additional 9 units from the year 2 or 3 level topics listed above.
Refer to Honours - Asian Studies