Honours - Italian
To be read in conjunction with the program of study requirements of the degree in which you are enrolled:
To qualify for Honours in Italian a student must complete satisfactorily 36 units of study as specified below. The program requires one year of full-time study or the equivalent part-time.
Honours in Italian aims to offer students opportunities to extend previous knowledge acquired at undergraduate level, in the field of Italian language and cultural studies.
In particular, it aims to:
- provide advanced language training in Italian in the four language skills (with particular attention to speaking and writing)
- engage students with issues in Italian society through a combination of coursework and supervised study projects
- engage students in extended research in a selected area of Italian studies through the Honours thesis
- develop students' ability to analyse and respond to complex authentic written and visual texts
- enhance students' awareness of local and global communities of Italian speakers
- strengthen students' awareness of, and reflection about, language and culture diversity locally and globally.
At the completion of Honours in Italian, students are expected to be able to:
- communicate at an advanced level of proficiency in Italian using sophisticated language structures, and fluency in speaking.
- demonstrate an advanced knowledge of linguistic and sociolinguistic aspects of Italian according to the area of specialisation chosen
- demonstrate reporting skills relative to a defined area of Italian cultural studies.
- adequately undertake and successfully complete an in-depth research project in the area of Italian studies
- identify and organise relevant research material in order to produce academic writing in Italian or in English and/or complete a research project
- read, summarise, analyse and interpret argumentative texts of an historical, artistic, cultural and/or social nature.
Program of study
Students undertake 22.5 units of core research topics and 13.5 units of option topics.
Students must consult the Honours Convener prior to enrolment in topics.
Honours - Italian - Core topics
22.5 units comprising:
LANG7413 Preparing for Language Studies Research (4.5 units)
LANG7400A Honours Thesis A (9 units)
LANG7400B Honours Thesis B (9 units)
Honours - Italian - Option topics
Select 13.5 units from the topics listed below:
LANG7401 Advanced Language Studies A (4.5 units)
LANG7402 Advanced Language Studies B (4.5 units)
LANG7411 Advanced Culture Studies A (4.5 units)
LANG7412 Advanced Culture Studies B (4.5 units)
LANG7777 Special Honours Topic in Language or Cultural Studies (4.5 units)