To be read in conjunction with the program of study requirements for the degree in which you are enrolled:
To qualify for Honours in Indonesian a student must complete satisfactorily 36 units of study as specified below. The program requires one year of full-time study or the equivalent part-time.
The Honours course in Indonesian aims to:
- allow undergraduate students who have achieved a high academic standard to undertake advanced studies and independent research in the field of Indonesian language and culture, including advanced level Indonesian language for those who are suitably qualified
- deepen students' knowledge and understanding of a range of core relevant analytical and conceptual frameworks
- instil a higher level of awareness in students about the key political, social, economic, and cultural factors and relationships within Indonesia and Asia, and between Australia and the Asian region
- facilitate on behalf of those students wishing to undertake Honours-level research in Indonesia, the opportunity to undertake the Australian University Indonesian In-Country program (ACICIS).
Upon successful completion of the Honours program, students should:
- have a deeper and more sophisticated knowledge of Indonesia, and the Asian region, and have commenced more specialised study in their particular field of interest
- have demonstrated a high level of research, analysis, and writing skills in preparation for employment and/or postgraduate study
- be able to apply their knowledge to the formulation of policies and to policy advice and analysis.
Program of study
Students undertake 22.5 units of core research topics and 13.5 units of option topics.
Honours - Indonesian - Core topics
22.5 units comprising:
LANG7413 Preparing for Language Studies Research (4.5 units)
LANG7400A Honours Thesis A (9 units)
LANG7400B Honours Thesis B (9 units)
Honours - Indonesian - Option topics
Select 13.5 units from the topics listed below:
LANG7401 Advanced Language Studies A (4.5 units)
LANG7402 Advanced Language Studies B (4.5 units)
LANG7411 Advanced Culture Studies A (4.5 units)
LANG7412 Advanced Culture Studies B (4.5 units)
LANG7777 Special Honours Topic in Language or Cultural Studies (4.5 units)