To be read in conjunction with the program of study requirements for the
The program aims to develop graduates who are able to function as practitioners in the interdisciplinary, global biotechnology industry. It is designed to enhance graduates' abilities to contribute to the development of scientifically sound, ethical and culturally sensitive solutions to complex problems for the economic and social benefit of society. It aims to develop graduates who work effectively within team environments and improve their practice through critical reflection and learning.
On completion of the program, students will be able to:
- transfer and apply core scientific concepts to develop solutions in the biotechnology industry
- work in ways that are informed by knowledge of the legislative, regulatory, commercial, scientific and social environment
- use critical analysis and problem solving skills to develop, plan and implement innovative solutions within a diverse range of biotechnology industry sectors
- synthesise information and communicate effectively, succinctly and sensitively with the scientific community, co-workers, government agencies, investors, the broad public and particular cultural and Indigenous communities
- apply judgement and initiative to propose and prioritise work strategies in consultation with co-workers to achieve timely completion of a project
- work in a multidisciplinary team and incorporate the views of all stakeholders including Indigenous groups, and use self-awareness and consultation to understand their role within a group and how they can best contribute to the group
- plan and conduct research projects and effectively communicate research findings
- apply their understanding of commercialisation processes to biotechnology products or services.
Program of study
Core - Honours Year topics
36 units comprising#:
BIOL7710 Honours Critical Readings (4.5 units)
BIOL7720 Honours Statistics and Research Design (4.5 units)
STEM7001 Research Methods for Honours (4.5 units)
STEM7000A Honours Research Project in STEM (4.5/22.5 units)
STEM7000B Honours Research Project in STEM (4.5/22.5 units)
STEM7000C Honours Research Project in STEM (4.5/22.5 units)
STEM7000D Honours Research Project in STEM (4.5/22.5 units)
STEM7000E Honours Research Project in STEM (4.5/22.5 units)
# With the permission of the Course Coordinator a 7xxx level topic that is appropriate to the student’s program may be substituted.