The Bachelor of Education (Special Education) is a graduate-entry degree which requires two years of full-time study. The course is delivered in Singapore in collaboration with the Social Service Institute (SSI).
The course is designed to support teacher education students to become imformed and effective teachers in special and mainstream schools where there are students who have disabilities and special needs.
Applicant must hold an approved diploma, degree, or equivalent qualification from an approved tertiary institution.
Credit may be granted for recognition of prior studies in accordance with the University's Credit Transfer Policy.
The course aims to produce graduates who:
- are aware of the links between curriculum, pedagogy, assessment, policies and practices designed to improve learning outcomes and well-being for students with special needs
- have developed in-depth knowledge in teaching students with special needs
- can effectively teach within, and across, Learning Areas
- understand both the complexity of teachers' work and importance of educating all students in developing active and healthy attitudes, values, knowledge, skills and understandings
On completion of the course graduates will be able to:
- translate and apply knowledge gained from reading, discussion, and writing into educational practices
- plan and utilise a range of effective instructional strategies to assist students with special needs to achieve learning objectives, with an emphasis on generalisation of knowledge and skills across environments and settings
- develop individualised learning programs anchored in curricula
- recommend and implement adaptations to classroom, school and community environments that promote inclusive practices.
Program of study
To qualify for the Bachelor of Education (Special Education), a student must complete 72 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic, according to the following program of study.
Core - Year 1 & 2 topics
72 units comprising
EDUC1224 Foundations of Special Education (4.5 units)
EDUC4731 Assessment and programming in Special Education (4.5 units)
DSRS1215 Introduction to Communication Diversity and Support Needs (4.5 units)
EDUC2323 Students with Numeracy Difficulties (4.5 units)
EDUC2423 Students with Literacy Difficulties (4.5 units)
EDUC3524 Health and Physical Education Curriculum Studies (4.5 units)
EDUC3523 Expressive Arts Curriculum Studies: Visual Art, Drama, Media, Music and Dance (4.5 units)
EDUC3641 Professional Experience 1: Primary (40 days) (4.5 units)
EDUC4732 Functional Curriculum Design for Students with Disabilities (4.5 units)
EDUC4721 Differentiation for Diverse Learners (Primary) (4.5 units)
EDUC4741 Professional Experience: Final Assessment (Primary R-7) (4.5 units)
EDUC4820 The Professional Educator (4.5 units)
DSRS2220 Advocacy and Working in Partnership (4.5 units)
DSRS2234 Instructional Strategies (4.5 units)
DSRS3221 Introduction to Positive Behaviour Support (4.5 units)
EDUC3629 Students with Learning and Behavioural Difficulties (4.5 units)