The Master of Education (Research) is a 36-unit Masters by research comprising 9 units of advanced coursework and 27 units of research and research training. The course is offered by the College of Education, Psychology and Social Work over one year full-time or the equivalent part-time. The Master of Education (Research) is an exit award only for students initially enrolled in the Doctor of Education.
The Master of Education (Research) provides candidates with high level and specialist studies enabling them to develop skills and knowledge to undertake a variety of advanced professional roles in education. It is expected that graduates of this award will be able to understand recent developments that underpin progress in education policy, management and practice and develop the creative and analytical skills to be able to contribute to it.
The course also enables candidates to make contribution to knowledge in education policy, management and practice through a research project.
Graduates of this award will be able to:
- investigate, analyse and apply the skills and knowledge that enable progress in education policy, management and practice to occur
- utilise knowledge gained of research principles and methods in order to plan, execute and communicate substantial research that makes a contribution to knowledge in education policy, management and practice
Program of study
To qualify for the Master of Education (Research), a student must complete 36 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic, according to the following program of study.
Specialisation and supervision are available in the following areas:
- Social Justice in Education
- Special Education
- Community, Institutional and Corporate Education
- Indigenous Education
- Physical and Health Education
- Educational Leadership and Management
- Language Education
- Educational Governance and Policy
- Cultural issues in Education
Every effort is made to facilitate students to study areas directly relevant to their own work needs.
Core - Year 1 topics
EDUC9971 Key Issues in Education (9 units) - Advanced coursework
EDUC9972 Preparation for Research (9 units) - Research/research preparation
EDUC9973 Critical Scholarship and Research Design (9 units) - Research
EDUC9975 Research Project (9 units) - Research