The Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is an 18-unit program of study designed to be completed in one semester of full-time study, or the equivalent part-time study.
The course is offered by the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences.
Applicants must have an Australian Bachelors degree or its equivalent from a recognised university. English language proficiency must be demonstrated in accordance with University policy. However, the Dean (Education) may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
This course aims to equip prospective TESOL practitioners with the essential tools for classroom practice. By exploring current theories in second language acquisition and investigating classroom issues related to TESOL, students will develop a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills which they can apply to their own English language teaching context.
The Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) will cater for the following groups:
- graduates who do not have a formal teaching qualification and wish to teach English to speakers of other languages
- qualified teachers who require specialised knowledge in TESOL
- qualified teachers of other subjects which are taught using English as the language of instruction.
On completion of this course students will be able to:
- analyse critically current theories in second language acquisition
- identify and analyse classroom issues related to TESOL
- assess various second language teaching theories and methodologies and communicate them to a range of audiences
- adapt second language teaching methodologies and approaches to a range of classroom teaching scenarios.
Eligible students may be granted up to 4.5 units of credit transfer for prior study, which may include Professional Development Pathways Modules related to TESOL completed through DECD.
Program of study
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic, according to the following program of study:
Core - Year 1 topics
9 units comprising:
ESOL8001 Fundamental Concepts of Second Language Learning and Teaching in TESOL GE (4.5 units)
ESOL9004 Curriculum Development and Teaching Practice in TESOL GE (4.5 units)
Option - Year 1 topics
Plus 9 units of topics from the following list:
ESOL8002 Language Assessment in TESOL GE (4.5 units)
ESOL8003 English Linguistics in TESOL GE (4.5 units)
ESOL9005 Principles of Teaching and Learning in TESOL GE (4.5 units)
ESOL9006 English as a Global Language (4.5 units)
ESOL9007 Research in TESOL (4.5 units)