To be read in conjunction with the program of study requirements for the degree in which you are enrolled:
A student may complete a minor sequence of 22.5 units in Indigenous Studies by completing two Year 1 topics (9 units), two Year 2 topics (9 units) plus and additional topic (4.5 units) from the Year 2 or Year 3 Topics listed in the program of study below.
This minor aims to:
- develop students' understanding of Australian First Nations and their peoples
- provide opportunities for students to develop a broad understanding of Indigenous perspectives and knoweldges, both historic and contemporary
- investigate issues faced by Indigenous peoples in Australia and internationally.
On completion of a minor in Indigenous Studies students will:
- be able to demonstrate a broad understanding of Indigenous histories and cultures
- be able to demonstrate a critical understanding of political, legal and cultural issues facing Indigenous people today
- be aware of the debates and viewpoints around the issues of reconciliation
- be able to demonstrate a broad understanding of how Indigenous peoples, both in Australia and internationally, view their history and culture.
Program of study
The following is the program of study for a 22.5 unit minor sequence in Indigenous Studies and should be read in conjunction with the course rule for the degree in which you are enrolled.
Minor - Indigenous Studies
Year 1 topics
AUST1004 An Introduction to Aboriginal Studies (4.5 units)
plus one of
AUST1001 Australian Studies: Identities (4.5 units)
HIST1203 A Brief History of Australia (4.5 units)
Year 2 topics
AUST2612 Reconciliation and Indigenous Knowledges (4.5 units)
plus 9 units from the year 2 topics listed below
ARCH2202 Australian Indigenous Archaeology (4.5 units)
AUST2610 Australian Studies: Indigenous Australian Art (4.5 units)
AUST2611 Australian Languages: Issues and Debates 1 (4.5 units)
GEOG3761 Caring as Country: Indigenous Environmental Management (4.5 units)
POLI2020 Australian Indigenous Politics (4.5 units)
WMST2016 Indigenous Women's Voices: Race, Gender and Colonialism (4.5 units)