The Bachelor of Health Sciences Honours program is offered by the College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
An honours program in Health Sciences is offered by the College of Nursing and Health Sciences to students who have
- completed the Bachelor of Health Sciences or another qualification which the Dean (Education) (upon recommendation of the Honours Committee) agrees is equivalent
- achieved a GPA of at least 5 in the ordinary degree.
The Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours) program aims to allow more capable students to extend their undergraduate career by demonstrating their ability to work in a research environment. In particular, the Honours year provides experience in research design, critical analysis of information, data management and theory generation using both qualitative and quantitative methods.
Graduates of the course will:
- be able to apply basic knowledge to specific health issues and hence be prepared to undertake a research project in their field of interest
- be equipped to pursue postgraduate research study
- be capable of undertaking a research project using both/either qualitative or quantitative research methods
- be able to present their findings to the academic community
- possess the skills to apply for and prepare research grants.
Program of study
The honours program comprises 36 units of study taken in one year full-time or two years part-time in the following topics:
Core - Year 1 topics
36 units comprising:
HLTH7005B Honours Program In Health Sciences (18/36 Units)
HLTH7005C Honours Program In Health Sciences (18/36 Units)
HLTH7005D Honours Program In Health Sciences (9/36 Units) AND
HLTH7005E Honours Program In Health Sciences (9/36 Units) AND
HLTH7005F Honours Program In Health Sciences (9/36 Units) AND
HLTH7005G Honours Program In Health Sciences (9/36 Units)
The Honours Committee will approve a student's admission and proposed program and appoint a supervisor and two assessors. The committee and the supervisors of each student enrolled in the degree shall comprise the Examinations Board.