Bachelor of Creative Arts (Dance) is offered by the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences as a dual award with the Certificate IV in Dance (CUA40113) and Advanced Diploma of Dance (Elite Performance) (CUA60113), offered by the Adelaide College of the Arts at TAFE SA. The dual award requires three years of full-time study to complete all three qualifications. Students are required to enrol concurrently at both the University and TAFE SA to complete the dual award.
Applicants must meet the minimum requirements for consideration for entry to all undergraduate courses as specified in detail in the University Entry Requirements. In addition, applicants must perform to a satisfactory level in an audition.
The aim of the course is to prepare students for a professional life by:
- equipping students with professional skills in the areas of major employment in the entertainment industry: realistic dance techniques, devised movement practices, dance project realisation, choreography and stage performance;
- introducing students to areas of development and increasing importance in the Australian industry: postmodern performance techniques, intercultural performance, and the interface between live performance and multimedia;
- encouraging all students to work as conceptual artists through courses specialising in techniques of group devising, auto-performance and choreography;
- developing in students, through a comprehensive history and theory stream, an awareness of the relevance of these discourses to professional practice.
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Creative Arts (Dance), students will be able to demonstrate:
- conceptual, practical and technical skills to produce creative work to a high standard in their chosen program
- teamwork and interpersonal skills to become effective members of creative production and planning teams
- high-level knowledge of the processes involved in the production of creative work
- sound knowledge of theories, factual content and research methods relevant to their program of study including an awareness of practices related to their chosen program
- knowledge of aspects of the arts industries relevant to their chosen program
- initiative and judgement in planning, problem solving and decision making in professional practice and scholarship, and ability to adapt knowledge and skills in diverse creative contexts
- skills to review critically, analyse, consolidate and synthesise knowledge and communicate a clear exposition of knowledge and ideas
- critical thinking and judgement in identifying and solving problems with intellectual independence
- application of knowledge and skills with responsibility and accountability and in collaboration with others
- the ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
Program of Study
To qualify for the Bachelor of Creative Arts (Dance), a student must complete 108 units as follows:
- 54 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic, according to the program of study listed below; and
- the Certificate IV in Dance (CUA40113) and Advanced Diploma of Dance (Elite Performance) (CUA60113), at TAFE SA, for which 54 units of credit will be granted.
The award of a grade of Fail (F) on more than one occasion in the same topic may constitute prima facie evidence of unsatisfactory progress for the purposes of the University’s Policy on Student Progress.
Core - Year 1 topics
18 units comprising:
COMS1001 Academic and Professional Communication (4.5 units)
DANC1100 Dance Workshop and Theory 1 (4.5 units)
DANC1101 Dance Workshop and Theory 2 (4.5 units)
INNO1001 Innovative and Creative Thinking: Recognising Opportunities (4.5 units)
Core - Year 2 topics
22.5 units comprising:
DANC2100 Dance Workshop and Theory 3 (4.5 units)
DANC2101 Dance Workshop and Theory 4 (4.5 units)
DANC2102 Dance Workshop and Theory 5 (4.5 units)
DANC2222 Dance Production 1 (4.5 units)
DRAM2105 Song and Dance (4.5 units)
Core - Year 3 topics
9 units comprising:
DANC3100 Dance Workshop and Theory 6 (4.5 units)
DANC3333 Dance Production 2 (4.5 units)
Option - Year 3 topics
Select 4.5 units from the following:
DRAM3102 Live Arts and Performance (4.5 units)
DRAM3107 Festivals: Performance and Curation (4.5 units)
TAFE SA RTO Code: 41026
Refer to Bachelor of Creative Arts (Honours)