The Master of Psychology (Clinical) is a 72-unit program offered by the College of Education, Psychology and Social Work.
Applicants must hold an approved honours degree of 1st or upper 2nd Class standard in the field of psychology, or qualifications deemed equivalent by the Dean (Education).
To equip graduates of the program to be eligible for registration as a psychologist with the Psychology Board of Australia. The requirements of such programs are made explicit by the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council.
Specifically, on successful completion of the course a student will:
- have a good understanding of current conceptualisations of the aetiology of psychological disorders
- be able to assess and diagnose psychological problems
- be able to perform complex psycho-educational and cognitive assessments of children and adults
- be able to develop and deliver evidence-based psychological therapies
- have a thorough understanding of the ethical, professional and cultural issues relevant to the practice of clinical psychology
- have completed a research report or literature review of a high standard.
Program of study
To qualify for the Master of Psychology (Clinical), a student must complete 72 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic.
The award of a grade of Fail (F) in the same topic on more than one occasion or in more than one topic may constitute prima facie evidence of unsatisfactory progress for the purpose of the University’s Policy on Student Progress.
Except with the permission of the Dean (Education), the program must be completed within eight consecutive semesters.
Core - Year 1 topics
PSYC9006 Clinical Child Psychology (4.5 units)
PSYC9007 Counselling and Professional Issues (4.5 units)
PSYC9035 Psychological Assessment (4.5 units)
PSYC9009 Psychological Disorders and Psychopharmacology (4.5 units)
PSYC9010 Practicum A (9 units)
PSYC9014 Introduction to Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (4.5 units)
PSYC9200A Research Project A (4.5/13.5 units)
Core - Year 2 topics
PSYC9005 Advanced Applications of Evidence Based Therapies (4.5 units)
PSYC9011A Practicum B (9 units)
PSYC9200B Research Project B (4.5/13.5 units)
PSYC9200C Research Project C (4.5/13.5 units)
PSYC9201 Practicum C (13.5 units)