The Graduate Certificate in Engineering Management is an 18-unit program offered by the College of Science and Engineering. Full time study is only available for mid-year commencement, and part time study is available for both semesters. This course articulates with the 36-unit Graduate Diploma in Engineering Management and the 72-unit Master of Engineering Management, and the sequentially developed topics allow progression through the three awards.
Applicants must either:
- hold a degree or equivalent qualification from an approved tertiary institution OR
- hold a diploma in engineering plus have at least three years’ experience in an engineering context
The Dean (Education) may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
The course provides graduates with study in both the theoretical and the practical aspects of engineering management that builds on a student's previous knowledge and experience. It provides graduates with the ability to analyse and evaluate information and solve engineering management problems, preparing them for future roles as engineering managers.
Engineering managers are required to manage and articulate solutions with regard to a strong professional and ethical position and to do that they need well developed written and oral communication skills and an ability to continue to learn and adapt. This course contributes to the development of these skills.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- evaluate engineering management problems and use professional skills and knowledge in managing the systematic development of engineering systems
- make use of management fundamentals to manage teams able to accomplish solutions appropriate to the social, political, international, economic and environmental contexts in which they are applied
- apply analytical skills to the operations and strategic management of their organisations
- select appropriate contemporary strategic management practices as they apply to engineering problems
Program of study
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Engineering Management a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic, according to the program of study below.
Core – Year 1 topics
9 units comprising:
BUSN9234 Project Management (4.5 units)
ENGR9704 Engineering Management (4.5 units)
Option – Year 1 topics
4.5 units selected from:
BUSN9035 Business Accounting (4.5 units)
BUSN9248 Managing People (4.5 units)
BUSN9259 Supply Chain and Operations (4.5 units)
4.5 units selected from:
DSGN8102 Design Communication GE (4.5 units)
ENGR8711 Engineering Design GE (4.5 units)
ENGR9742 Systems Engineering (4.5 units)
Course Rule Notes
With the permission of the Course Coordinator, topics from the Master of Engineering Management can be substituted for topics in this Program of Study.