To be read in conjunction with the program of study requirements for the degree in which you are enrolled.
The minor in Cognitive Psychology and Educational Practice is professionally oriented and is intended for people currently employed in the field of education, those who would like to be so employed, and those who have an interest in expanding their knowledge and practice with a focus on understanding and renewing teaching and learning with a particular focus on learners’ motivation, cognition and metacognition.
This minor aims to provide students with opportunities to:
- interrogate the field of cognitive psychology for learning and investigate its application to problems that arise in learning and teaching in a range of educational contexts and modalities
- improve understandings of learners’ motivation, cognition and metacognition
- articulate scholarly views for informed, constructive debate increasing professional reflective practice through the lens of cognitive psychology and educational practice
- enhance critical thinking, problem-solving and research skills to enable them to engage in critical reflection on and inquiry into theoretical and practical application to problems that arise in learning and teaching
- increase knowledge and skills, necessary to uphold ethical research standards and practices into design thinking and educational practices
- apply knowledge gained from readings, discussions and writing into educational practices in exploration of increased self-regulated learning
On completion students will be able to:
- critically read, analyse and synthesise current theory and research in the field of Cognitive Psychology and Educational Practice
- evaluate and apply knowledge of selected areas of contemporary theoretical and existing bodies of research
- relate theories and the findings from research studies and apply to authentic teaching-learning practices
- appraise learners’ motivation, cognition and metacognition in contexts relevant to them
- design, conduct, and evaluate a small, directed research project in the field of Cognitive Psychology and Educational Practice
- extend informed debate about research, practice and policy in the field of Cognitive Psychology and Educational Practice
- combine ethical research standards and practices into learning design and educational practices
Program of study
To qualify for the minor in Cognitive Psychology and Educational Practice, a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P or NGP, or better, in each topic according to the program of study below.
Not all topics are necessarily available in a given year.
18 units comprising:
EDUC8731 Motivation, Cognition and Metacognition in Learning (4.5 units)
EDUC9732 Teaching to Develop Motivation, Cognition and Metacognition (4.5 units)
EDUC9733 The Psychology of Learning and Instruction (4.5 units)
EDUC9734 Applications of Psychology to Learning and Instruction (4.5 units)