To be read in conjunction with the program of study requirements for the degree in which you are enrolled.
The minor in Leadership in Education provides opportunities to critically examine recent leadership literature, engage in debate and reflection about relevant policy and practices, and incorporate reading, discussion and writing to develop an understanding of and capacity to use educational research, policies and practices relevant to the practice of leadership.
This minor provides students with opportunities to critically examine recent literature, engage in debate and reflection, and expand and apply in-depth knowledge of:
- policies and practices related to their area of interest
- methods for fostering interdisciplinary and intercultural partnerships and working collaboratively
- theoretical and practical matters in education in such a way as to improve professional decision making
- curriculum, pedagogy and assessment policies and practices designed to improve learning outcomes and student/client well-being
- theoretical and practical matters related to their area of interest
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- integrate dispositions, cognitive skills, reflective awareness and creativity in the application of evidence-based knowledge, skills and capacities to educational practices
- combine high-level leadership skills, particularly technical and communication skills, when designing, evaluating, implementing, analysing and theorising about contributions to professional practice or scholarship
- formulate advanced understandings of educational research, policies and practices, particularly in relation to leadership through knowledge gained from readings, discussions and writings
- critique contemporary evidence-based knowledge when operating in educational leadership contexts
Program of study
To qualify for the minor in Leadership in Education, a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P or NGP, or better, in each topic according to the program of study below.
Not all topics are necessarily available in a given year.
13.5 units comprising:
EDUC8618 Pedagogical Leadership (4.5 units)
EDUC9606 Planning Change in Organisations (4.5 units)
EDUC9610 Developing People in Organisations (4.5 units)
4.5 units from the following list:
EDUC9609 Leadership and Management in Rural Contexts (4.5 units)
EDUC9616 Leadership and Management in Education (4.5 units)