To be read in conjunction with the program of study requirements for the degree in which you are enrolled.
In this minor, students will critically reflect on the areas of learning difficulties and disabilities, literacy and numeracy difficulties, and differentiated and inclusive practices. Students will develop an advanced and integrated understanding about relevant policies and practices and the capacity to examine and critique teaching and learning approaches.
The minor aims to:
- provide current and scholarly literature on research, theories and practices relevant to learning difficulties and disabilities, literacy, numeracy and differentiated and inclusive practices
- develop the critical thinking tools and strategies with which to analyse, evaluate and synthesise ideas that can be applied to diverse settings in able to support diverse learners and those experiencing learning difficulties
- equip students with theoretical and practical models and frameworks to design, implement and advocate for a range of inclusive educational practices that support learners who have learning difficulties and/or disabilities
On completion students will be able to:
- critically reflect on, evaluate and respond to current research and scholarship related to students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- articulate and explain their professional knowledge and understanding of the nature and causes of learning difficulties and learning disabilities in students
- apply knowledge and skills to demonstrate autonomy, informed judgement, of knowledge adaptability and responsibility as a practitioner.
- understand and facilitate adaptations to teaching and learning contexts, and design and implement learning supports that promote inclusive practices for students with learning difficulties and learning disabilities
Program of study
To qualify for the minor in Learning Difficulties, a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P or NGP, or better, in each topic according to the program of study below. Not all topics are necessarily available in a given year.
18 units comprising:
EDUC9406 Differentiation and Inclusive Educational Practices (4.5 units)
EDUC9409 Intervention for Students with Numeracy Difficulties (4.5 units)
EDUC9521 Supporting Students with Learning Disabilities (4.5 units)
EDUC9522 Intervention for Students with Literacy Difficulties (4.5 units)